- Digital Electronics : Understanding of Mux, Decoders, Registers, Flip Flops and basic circuits like adder, subtractor, and multiplier.
- C Programing : Working Knowledge of C and should be able to understand meaning of code snippets including pointers, arrays and structures. Should be able to write code in C, as assignments will be mostly using C programming.
- Microprocessors and Basic Computer Architecture :
- Single Cycle, Multi cycle architectures.
- ISA ( Very Basic knowledge of MIPS, ARM, x86 or any assembly language)
- Operating systems : Basic Terminologies in OS like processes, threads, stack.
Course Structure :
- Fundamental Concepts and ISA
- Brief Introduction to ARM architecture, Programmers Model and Instruction Set
- Operating Modes and Exception Handling
- Important terminologies in Embedded Systems
- Instruction Level Parallelism
- Pipelining Principles
- Out of order execution
- Precise Exceptions
- Memory hierarchy Design
- Main Memory design
- Cache Architectures and Optimizations
- TLB and Virtual Memory concepts
- Advance memory concepts – Multicore cache management (optional) (as per level of students)
- Embedded Systems
- Microcontrollers, I/O and Peripheral Concepts
- Embedded Architecture and Power Considerations
- Advance Concepts in Computer Architecture (optional)(as per level of students)
- Branch Prediction, Control Flow Handling and Prefetching
- Flynn’s taxonomy and GPU architectures
6 Operating Systems Fundamentals
- Processes and its address space , stack and heap
- Threads and multithreading
7 Processor Virtualization
- Scheduling Introduction
- Scheduling Algorithms
- Multiprocessor Scheduling
8 Memory Virtualization
- Memory management overview
- Virtual memory
- Demand Paging
- Page Replacement
- Memory Mapped Files
- Common Concurrency Problems
- I/O devices
- File and Directories
- File Operations
- File System Implementation
Key features of our course:
- Weekly assignments including lots of numerical as well as implementation problems will be provided. Proper detailed analysis and discussion of sample problems and assignments will be carried out.
- Equal Focus on developing practical skills along with theory. Practical implementation assignments will be provided to students
- Detailed study material like PPT, reference materials and assignments will be provided.